It is the quintessential human nature to not only accumulate belongings, but also form an unexplained affection towards them. Whether it is homes or offices, we continuously feel need for additional space. Self storage units are the best options when we want to keep our belongings safe and secure. However, have you ever thought what people store in self storage units? Let us find out more about it.
When it comes to offices, there is a need to move over the cabinets bursting with age old files and documents. The most common items in business storage include :
- Tools and equipment
- Inventory and stock
- E-bay traders stock
- Sample storage for trade reps
- Pallet storage
Most common items in household storage units include :
- Electrical appliances
- Holiday decorations
- Seasonal clothing
- Old photographs, magazines and newspapers
Self storage units are extremely useful to keep your less frequently used, unused or seasonal belongings. However, a few people also store bizarre items in self storage units. From old shoes, ashes of the deceased relatives, million dollar comic book belonging to Nicholas Cage, unreleased compositions by Michael Jackson to grenades, ammunition and grandma’s dead body, people sometimes store all sorts of things in self storage units.
Self storage units allow individuals and businesses to still have the possession of their belongings kept at a safe and secure location. Every household needs Self storage units can be judged from the most popular unit sizes. These include:
- 10×5 feet, which is about the size of a large walk-in closet
- 10×10 feet, which is about the size of a kid’s bedroom
- 10×20 feet, equivalent to the size of one car parking space
- 20×20 feet, approximately about two car garage
Self Storage Industry at a Glance
- As per the statistics, there were approximately 48,500 primary and 4000 secondary storage facilities in the US in 2012.
- Total self storage rentable space in the States is now 2.3 billion square feet.
- 32% urban, 53% suburban and 16% of the rural population make use of the total self storage space.
As the requirement for additional space is increasing everyday, storing belongings in self storage units will gain more popularity in the times to come.
This infographic explains What goes into self storage units.