Strawberry Rhubarb Pie and seasonal pies
Most people are astonished when they hear about the tart rhubarb being used in the pie. Rhubarb, though a vegetable is often treated like a fruit. The tart rhubarb is the perfect foil for sweet berries and other fruits.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie receipt
Rhubarb is known as the pie plant as it is an ingredient widely used in pies. The easy strawberry rhubarb pie is a simple dessert that can quickly be made. Rhubarb is highly acidic. People believe that the best way to clean a stained bowl or vessel is to cook rhubarb in it. Therefore, when you are making this strawberry rhubarb pie, make sure you use a stainless steel, enamel, glass or a nonstick pan.
Aluminum and uncoated iron pans will discolor the pie mix. Rhubarb is too sharp-tasting to be eaten by itself, but it pairs well with other fruits and creates a wonderful sweet-tart flavor. Apples, oranges, peaches, and berries pair well with rhubarb. Ginger, cinnamon, vanilla, lime, and mint also complement well with rhubarb. In desserts, half of the fruit can be substituted with chopped rhubarb.
If you are fed up of the same chocolate pie desserts and are looking for something new, why not try the delicious strawberry rhubarb pie. This pie is a perfect combination of a sweet dessert and a tart. To make this delicious treat, you will need the following ingredients:
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- A pie crust
- Mix the sugar and flour in a large bowl and add the strawberries and rhubarb stirring the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a pie crust.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and scatter them over the mixture.
- Use the top pastry to cover the pie crust.
- Make sure to smooth the edges to prevent any of the filling seeping out.
- Cut openings on the top of the pie.
- Use aluminum foil to wrap the edges.
- Bake the mixture for 40 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Before you remove the pie from the oven, remove the foil from the edges and bake for another 10 minutes. This delicious pie can be served hot or cold.
It is a clever idea to place the strawberry rhubarb pie on a baking plate in the oven just in case some of the filling spills out.
Rhubarb is seasonal, and you can save it for later if you take care to store it well. Wrap unwashed rhubarb tightly in plastic and put it in the refrigerator. This way it can easily last for up to 7 days in the refrigerator. However if you want to use it all year round it needs to be frozen. Wash and cut it into one inch pieces. Drop the pieces in boiling water for a minute, then scoop them out with a slotted spoon and plunge them into ice water. You give them a shock treatment. Drain the cooled pieces, pack them in baking sheets, and place them in the freezer. Once frozen solid, place them in plastic bags. They can be used until the next season comes up.
The author suggest you this interesting pie related infographic: