7 Steps to Move on a Shoestring Budget
No matter how hard it may be, but moving is something that is unavoidable. Every year, millions of Americans move from one location to another. Whether it is moving to a different country or an inter-state move, moving does not come cheap. The cost of hiring residential moving companies, procuring the packing material and moving supplies can burn a hole in your pockets.
So what should be done in this case? Moving is already a strenuous activity and managing the expenses, along with the packing and transportation of your belongings can be nothing less than mayhem. Especially when you are on a budget, it is extremely critical to manage your expenses as expenses can go skyrocketing during moving to a new location. If you are moving on a shoestring budget, here are a few pointers to keep in mind that will help you in moving without facing a financial crunch –
- Plan your move early – Planning a move early will not only ease your moving blues, but will also help you in finding the best moving quotes. Plane every bit or detail and how and what you are moving with you. When you have a fair idea of the belongings that you are moving, you spend accordingly, rather than spending haphazardly. Moving in the off season or on a weekday can save a lot of your hard earned dollars.
- Organize a yard sale – Yard sales most of the times act as the lender of the last resort. By holding a yard sale, you reap a two-fold benefit. First, you get rid of additional belongings that might have cost you a fortune in moving. Second, you earn attractive price for selling these belongings.
- Save money on packing supplies – When you are moving on a budget, it is necessary that you procure moving supplies from your friends or neighbors who have recently moved. Apart from this, you can also get the moving boxes from your local grocery stores for free as well. Apart from this, you can also use old clothes, sheets and towels to wrap your belongings, especially the items that do not pose a risk of getting damaged on the move, instead of buying packing material from the movers.
- Although hiring professional movers for your relocation is always recommended, if you are moving on a shoestring budget, it is essential that you ask your friends for their help. Call your friends over a drink and get their help in packing and unpacking instead of paying additional amount on these services.
- One of the major aspects that most people ignore is the on-road expenses. When you are moving to a far off location on a budget, stuff your car with healthy snacks and food instead of stopping out for your meals and refreshments. In addition, you can also choose a bed and breakfast instead of a hotel, if your move requires staying overnight.
Moving is no doubt a costly affair, but by following these tips, you can make your moving economical.
Infographic by FlatRate Moving