At first glance, the new coronavirus does not seem like a huge problem. It is a virus that kills a smaller part of those infected than many expect. However, this does not mean we should not take things seriously. Unfortunately, it is the fact that many did not take COVID-19 seriously that led to over 3 million people being infected right now, with over a third of them in the US alone.
No matter what you might believe, the best thing you can do right now to protect you and everyone you love is to take the necessary steps to prevent the coronavirus. This is mainly possible through proper respiratory hygiene. Take appropriate precautions. According to the WHO, the most important things to do to prevent COVID-19 are:
- Clean hands as often as possible. Always use soap and water. If this is not available, a hand rub solution that is alcohol-based is necessary.
- Always maintain distance from people, especially those that are sneezing or coughing.
- Make sure you cover your mouth and nose with a bent elbow. Better yet, use a tissue whenever sneezing or coughing.
- If you do not feel well, the best thing you can do is to stay at home.
- When you cough, have problems breathing or you have a fever, contact doctors as soon as possible. You need to call in advance though.
- When the local health authorities offer directions, respect them.
- Do not go to medical facilities when you do not need to. This allows medics to operate in a more effective way so that you can protect everyone.
To make it easier for you to remember the most important steps to take to prevent COVID-19, this infographic will help you out. Download it and print it, if necessary.